In the beginning, Civil Engineering included all engineers that did not practice military engineering; said to have begun in 18th century France . First “Civil Engineer” was an Englishman, John Smeaton in 1761. Civil engineers have saved more lives than all the doctors in history by developing clean water and sanitation systems
Civil engineering focuses on the infrastructure of the world:
Water works, Sewers, Dams, Power Plants, Transmission Towers/Lines, Railroads, Highways, Bridges, Tunnels, Irrigation Canals, River Navigation, Shipping Canals, Traffic Control, Mass Transit, Airport Runways, Terminals, Industrial Plant Buildings, Skyscrapers, etc.
A People Serving Profession
* Henry H. White, first Civil Engineering Graduate from Bacon (Georgetown) College in 1840
* Fall of 1886, “State College” (UK) established civil engineering degree
* John Wesley Gunn of Lexington received first Civil Engineering degree from A & M College (UK) in 1890
Civil Engineering Process
Civil Engineering Specialization
* Environmental/ Water Quality
* Water Resources
Civil Engineering Specialization – Construction Engineers
Construction engineers do the Design , scaffolding, lifting apparatus, etc. They also Manage the construction resources: labor, materials, equipment, money and time.
Civil Engineering Specialization – Environmental Engineers
* Apply fluid mechanics, biology and chemistry to the design and operation of environmental control systems, e.g., municipal and industrial waste water systems.
* Model and monitor the movement and behavior of water pollutants in natural waters.
Civil Engineering Specialization – Geo Technical Engineers
* Analyze soil and rock that affect the behavior of struc-tures, pavements, underground facilities, and containment structures for solid and liquid wastes.
* Design foundations, retaining walls, roadway cuts, etc.
* Field and laboratory work along with design
Civil Engineering Specialization – Hydraulic Engineers
* Analyze and design systems to transport liquids.
* Small and large systems of pipes as well as engineered and natural channels.
* Hydraulic machinery such as pumps and turbines, hydraulic controls such as valves and weirs, and hydraulic structures such as dams and spillways.
Civil Engineering Specialization – Materials Engineers
Design, analyze, and construct materials such as:
Civil Engineering Specialization – Structural Engineers
* Design and analyze all man-made objects whose primary function is load resistance: buildings, bridges, aircraft, transmission towers, radar domes and antennas, drilling platforms, etc.
* Must also consider the economics, esthetics and social implications of their creations.
* Precisely locate and layout engineering projects.
* GIS (Geographic Information Systems), GPS (Global Positioning Systems), and lasers distance measurement devices.
* Maps and aerial photos.
Civil Engineering Specialization – Transportation Engineers
* Analyze movement of persons and goods.
* Plan, design, construct, maintain and operate various transportation modes (e.g., highway, railway, air, water, etc.).
* Design traffic management systems.
Civil Engineering Specialization – Water Resources Engineers
* Develop, use and manage world’s water resources.
* Design water distribution systems, wells, reservoirs, canals, locks and dams, port facilities and flood control systems.
* Analyze the impact of other engineering projects on the natural hydrologic system.
* Chi Epsilon – Civil Engineering honorary
* ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
* AGC (Association of General Contractors)
* ARTPA (American Road and Transportation Builders Association)
* ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers)
* KSPE (Kentucky Society of Professional Engineers – section of the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE))
1. Amal Jyothi College of Engineering and Technology, Kottayam
2. Caarmel Engineering college, Ranni
3. Cochin University of Science and Technology (C.U.S.A.T.), Kochi
4. College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram
5. Engineer’s Training Centre ( E.T.C), Thrissur
6. Government College of Engineering (G.C.E.K), Kannur
7. Government Engineering College, Kozhikode
8. Government Engineering College, Thrissur
9. Government Engineering College, Wayanad
10. Holy Matha College of Modern Technology, Ernakulam
11. Ilahia College of Engineering and Technology, Muvattupuzha
12. M.E.S. College of Engineering, Kuttippuram
13. Mar Athanasius College of Engineering (M.A.C.E.), Kothamangalam
14. Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
15. Mar Gregorious Engineering College, Kottayam
16. Marian Engineering College, Thiruvananthapuram
17. Met’s School of Engineering, Thrissur
18. Musaliar College of Engineering and Technology, Pathanamthitta
19. N.S.S. College of Engineering, Palakkad
20. National Institute of Technology (N.I.T.),
21. Rajitlal Institute of Technology and Health Sciences (R.I.T.H.S.), Thiruvananthapuram
22. Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, Kottayam
23. Royal College of Engineering and Technology, Thrissur
24. S.C.M.S. School of Engineering and Technology, Ernakulam
25. Saintgits College of Engineering, Kottayam
26. Sree Narayana Gurukulam College of Engineering, Kolenchery
27. T.K.M. (Thangal Kunju Musaliar) College of Engineering, Kollam
28. Toc H Institute Of Science and Technology, Ernakulam
29. Travancore Engineering College, Kollam
30. Vimal Jyothi Engineering College, Kannur